Where The Surf Meets The Turf.
Del Mar is nationally known for its racetrack and ever-popular thoroughbred-racing season from mid-July through early September. Since its opening in 1937, it has been famous for the slogan: "Where The Turf Meets The Surf." Today the Del Mar Race Track remains the place to be and be seen.
- The race track was built by a partnership including Bing Crosby, the actor Pat O'Brien, Jimmy Durante, and Charles S. Howard.
- When Del Mar opened in 1937, Bing Crosby was at the gate to personally greet the fans. By 1940, Del Mar had become the summer playground for many Hollywood stars like Ava Gardner, Mickey Rooney, Douglas Fairbanks and more.
- In the 1990s the track underwent a major renovation and the grandstand of the Del Mar Fairgrounds was demolished and replaced, giving fans a better view of the horse races.
- Each year, the track opens its summer racing season in mid-July to crowds upwards of 40,000 people.
- In August, the racetrack is home to the $ 1 Million Pacific Classic, featuring the best horses in the United States.