The Southern California beach resort, L'Auberge Del Mar is located on the historic site of The Stratford Inn, built in 1910, which became the Hotel Del Mar in 1926. A hot spot for Hollywood celebrities and Southern California locals alike, the Hotel Del Mar was the perfect accompaniment to Bing Crosby & Pat O'Brien's Del Mar Fairgrounds and Racetrack. Celebrities such as Lucy and Desi Arnaz, and Jimmy Durante frequented often.
During World War II, the hotel became home to soldiers and their families. After the war, the hotel never regained the popularity it once held, fell into disrepair and in 1969, was torn down. In 1985, coinciding with Del Mar's centennial, local resident Jim Watkins purchased the property and rebuilt the hotel with an intention to draw people back to Del Mar. L'Auberge Del Mar opened its doors in 1989.
When L'Auberge Del Mar underwent a $25 million renovation in 2008 it marked a new era of sophistication and style in Del Mar. Home to the infamous Opening Day After-Party and many other community events throughout the year, L'Auberge Del Mar is the centerpiece of the Del Mar village.